Mistakes don't define us

I am a quilter, mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, doer. I have passions, loves, desires, feelings. I relate and understand life through the things I see, hear, and do. It just so happens that this time in my life, I see analogys in the quilting I do.
This was a challenge quilt from my quilt store. While quilting it I wanted to emphasize the words, but then didn't like it. So I got out my seam ripper and went to work. I put little loops all around the words and outlined the flowers. Not long into the stitching I thought "Not sure I like this, but that's a lot to rip out, I'll make it work." Well, it took hours to rip all that stitching out. I needed to change it. I wasn't happy with what I had done. But because I am hardheaded, I created a lot more work for myself. And, in the end, I just could not get those last few stitches out without messing up the fabric. Then I started thinking. Isn't this just how life is? You go on through life, on a path you think will get you to where you need to be or make you happy, and then when you get there, it doesn't. Sometimes we know this early on, other times we don't. Then you repent, or rip out those stitches. Some stitches come out easy, and then there are those that don't come out so easy. And yet, even those that no matter how hard you try, they don't come out at all. I thought of repentance and how there are times it's as easy as saying I'm sorry(those stitches that come right out). Done, move on. Then there are those a little harder (the ones you have to work at and take FOREVER to pick out). You have to really work at changing something in your life, be it adding a or taking out something that is either needed or not needed in your life. This is not always easy. Old habits are hard to break. Then there are those things in life that will follow you no matter what( those few stitches that you can't take out). No matter how hard you try, they remain. You can not change the past, you just have to move on. Sometimes we can use those choices to our advantage and it all blends in and no one knows unless you point them out. And sometimes, well, we just need to let those choices be, and decide to move on. In this square I got out all but a few stitches and redid the block. Afterwards I was happy with it and unless you really scrutinize the square, you won't see it either. Knowing this, I asked myself, does it matter what a person's past is? If they are good now and have repented, who am I to point out past mistakes? I hope you have a fantastic day and can find it in your heart to be kinder to not just someone else, but also to yourself.  Because once the new design is stitched on, that's what we need to focus on.



This is what I had through out the block. These few circles I could not pick out.



  After all was picked out, that I could get out, you can see the imprint still.



After the all over design I chose, what I picked out isn't noticeable anymore.



This is the spot I could not get 100% out. It blends in fairly well, but can be seen if one looks hard enough or knows what they are looking for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forever Strong

Success Begins with that First Step

Smallest of Changes